CEX Aircraft configurator
Aircraft Configuration App
The ACA will allow you to easily activate the carriers' advanced features with any aircraft in your system. In order for your carrier aircraft to work optimally with our ships, we strongly recommend going through the ACA to assign presets to your aircraft. This only has do be done once per aircraft.
After installation, an icon saying "Carrier Extensions Manager" will appear on your Desktop and Start Menu. Run it as administrator to see the Aircraft Configuration screen.
The ACA consists of eight areas, numbered in the picture:
- List aircraft for the selected simulator. Supported: FSX, FSX:Steam, P3Dv2-v4
- Manage filepaths button: in the event that your sim wasn't detected, this button will allow you to manually point ACA to your simulator's root folder
- Manage presets: Allows you to see presets created for various aircraft and tweak them to fine-tune them in the sim
- Preset from aircraft: It creates a preset automatically from the aircraft that is selected on the list
- Preset activator: The drop-down menu allows you to select an aircraft preset to be applied to the selected aircraft. The three checkboxes will enable the Deck Configuration gauge for our carriers (see here), allowing you to show and hide static aircraft.
- ACA stores information in your aircraft's panel and aircraft.cfg files. In the unlikely event that something breaks, this will revert to the last backup made by ACA.
- Saves settings for all aircraft that were modified
- Aircraft listing
- click to select individual aircraft for editing
- Ctrl+click to select multiple individual aircraft
- After clicking on an aircraft, Shift+Click on another one to select all aircraft between these two
Selecting a ready-made preset
Let's assume that you broke our F-4B for FSX and want to reactivate our advanced features for it.
- Click on Phantom II Early in the list
- Shift+Click on Phantom II Late. Ensure that all three Phantoms are now marked.
- Go to section number 5 in the ACA and from the drop-down menu select F-4B Phantom II
- Under the drop-down menu, click the checkboxes of the carriers you want to activate. Let's assume Coral Sea 1965.
- Click "Apply to Selected"
- Click "Save all settings"
Your Phantom now is ready to use the cables of any one of our carriers and also has a window added that allows you to configure the deck of the 1965 Coral Sea.
Creating and modifying a preset
Let's assume that you want to make a preset for Dino Cattaneo's T-45.
- Find the T-45 in the list
- Click on the "Preset from Aircraft" button
- A pop-up window will appear asking you to name the preset. Type T-45 Goshawk Dino or any other name you like and click OK.
- The Manage presets window will come up requesting the hook pivot point and length, and three AoA values. If you have them, type them in, otherwise go to the next step.
- Click the Save button
- Click Save All settings and launch the simulator.
You will now need to go through the in-game calibration process for the tailhook and AoA.
For the first part you need to be still:
- In the air in slew mode
- On the ground (slew or normal mode)
- On a non-moving carrier
- Make sure your hook is UP
- In the menu bar, go to the Add-ons menu and select SWS Midway class carriers.
- In the menu that will appear click on Calibration Mode
- Go to spot view and you should see a yellow rod and a horseshoe cutting through your plane. The rod is to be aligned with the tailhooks point of rotation. The horseshoe is supposed to align with the hook's tip. Use the following controls to adjust the parts to your plane's hook:
- The arrow keys or numpads 2,8,4 and 6 are used to move the rod down, up, forward and aft respectively.
- The Numpad + and numpad - are used to move the horseshoe farther out or closer to the rod (hook length)
- Shift+numpad + and Shift+Numpad - will rotate the "virtual" hook down and up
The second part is to do this for the hook in the extended position. Extend the hook and get in the air in slew mode. Ensure that the hook is FULLY EXTENDED.
Repeat the previous steps for the extended hook and when done exit calibration mode.
The photos below illustrate key parts of the process:
While inflight (not in slew mode or on the ground) enter calibration mode as before
- Get in the air and fly the plane in landing configuration (full flaps, gear down).
- Manouever the plane until the moment that only the "too slow" light stays on.
- Hit the Spacebar key and the "too slow" angle of attack will be stored automatically
- Manouever the plane until the moment that only the "too fast" light stays on.
- Hit Shift+Spacebar and the "too fast" angle of attack will be stored automatically
- Manouever the plane to a high angle of attack, until you are close to getting a stall warning
- Hit Shift+Spacebar and the "waveoff" angle of attack will be stored automatically
Go back to the carrier options menu and exit calibration mode.
You have just created a preset for this aircraft type and can now mass-assign it to other aircraft of the same type using the Aircraft Configuration App, without exiting the simulator. Your plane is now configured and all you have to do is reload the aircraft in the sim. This plane model is done, you don't have to calibrate it again.