F-4B/N Phantom II
Credits and thanks
Thank you for your interest in our F-4B/N Phantom II package. The SimWorks Studios F-4B/N Phantom II is a product of great effort and love for one of the most iconic aircraft ever made. We would also like to thank the various people that assisted in the research and developement of this project. Many members of the Sim-Outhouse community provided us with invaluable research material, insight to the aircraft and testing. We would also like to thank our beta testing team which provided us with a lot of headaches and invaluable feedback during the developmen cycle. Our early customers, who supported us not only with their wallets but also with constructive criticism that led us to improve usability and quality even further. Lastly, the development team:
- Jamal Ingram: Exterior model, and TacPack coding
- Alex Vletsas: Interior model, Coral Sea modeling, XML coding and management
- Panayiotis Delizisis: Flight dynamics, F-4 repaints and Coral Sea texturing
- Thanasis Delizisis: Flight dynamics
- Nicolas Nastri: Paintkit, VC and Exterior texturing
- McFarland Masterton: Carrier Extensions v2.0
- Orion Lyau: Carrier Extensions v1.0
We would also like to extend our special thanks to Tom Aguilo for XMLTools, which made possible many major features of this aircraft. Doug Dawson for his dsd2xml module, allowing us to enrich our audio environment. MilViz for their marvelous RADAR and lighting technology that is integrated herein. Finally, Rich Slater for doing some specialized groundwork for us.
The following sections are devoted to the product as a user manual, allowing you to operate the F-4B/N to its full capability and familiarize yourself with its features.
While downloading and installing, be sure that your antivirus software is turned off, otherwise there is a high probability of a corrupt installation.
- The F-4B/N Phantom II is compatible with Flight Simulator X:Acceleration/Gold, Flight Simulator X:Steam Edition, Prepar3Dv2 and Prepar3Dv3. If you wish to have one installation for every simulator you own, you need to run the installer again for each one. The installer will automatically detect the path to your simulator's main folder and install the files there.
- The next important step is selecting which lighting version to install. We have provided two versions of cockpit lighting:
- An adjustable lighting version that allows you to independently control each light in the aircraft's cockpit as in the real thing. This version requires a DX10 capable video card. You do not need to activate FSX's DirectX 10 preview mode for it to work!.
- A basic version that utilizes the default lighting system. This version is compatible with older graphics cards. It is essentially an on/off toggle that illuminates both cockpits with floodlights.
- Next, the user gets to choose between a TacPack-enabled and a non-TacPack version. The non-TacPack version will allow the user to load the aircraft with weapons, but operation of the RADAR and weapons release will not be possible.
- Switching between TacPack and non-TacPack is possible post-installation by using the configuration app found in the start menu and desktop. Be certain to run as administrator!
- The carrier can be found using our saved flight, or using the included Fleet Placer, AI Carriers or TacPack to be spawned ingame.
- A saved flight can be find under SimWorks Studios\Saved Flights in the simulator's root folder. Copy that to your FSX/P3D Saved flights folder and you will be able to load the flight
- An AI Carriers configuration file can be found under SimWorks Studios\AICarriers in the simulator's root folder. Copy that to AI Carriers\conf.d to add CVA-43 to the list of available carriers.
For the best possible experience we recommend the settings as shown in the images below.
- Global texture resolution: Maximum
- To see 4096 textures in FSX, you may need to edit fsx.cfg located in %appdata%\Microsoft\FSX and add/change the TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=1024 line to TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=4096. The line is in the [GRAPHICS] section.
- Advanced animations: ON (Required)
- Target frame rate: 30 (depending on preference it may go higher or lower)
- Global texture resolution: Maximum
- Show tooltips: as desired
- High resolution virtual cockpit: ON
- Sound: our testing indicates that the aircraft feels best when engine sounds are half the volume of the other sounds. Recommended:
- Engines: 25%
- Other settings: 50%
Notice to Steam customers
Certain features have been reduced or are not included in the version available on the Steam Store. Reduced features are marked with an asterisk (*) and removed with two asterisks (**).
- Systems and procedures
- Combat employment